A Series of Suspicious Events
Iran must wonder, where are the Immortals when you need them? In ancient times this force served as both a standing army and an imperial guard. What has been going on in the region of the old Persian Empire must be disconcerting for the extremist regime in power now.
This week’s bombing of a nuclear scientist adds one more event to the list of things that have been going wrong with Iran’s nuclear program. A pair of men on a motorcycle zoomed down a Tehran street and slapped a magnetic bomb on the professor’s car as it rode by. The bomb went off and the professor was the latest victim of what seems to be a covert war against Iran’s plans to build a nuclear weapon.
The program has been boosted by outside powers providing them with the material they need and many suspect Russia or China so what we are seeing is a continuation of the old cold war between capitalism and communism at odds with one another. Or if you will, freedom vs. tyranny. Is it any wonder that Vladamir Putin has been so down on the U.S. in recent years? He is a hard liner that wants to return Russia to its former Soviet style of tyranny and China wants our money and to detest the Stars and Stripes at the same time. I have some serious suspicions that our own money is being used against us in a way that could be catastrophic in the future. Actually, on August 21st of last year, it was no secret that the Russians provided Iran with rods for their nuclear facility.
So, we have these events that smack of international espionage and it really has me intrigued. The great thing about a covert war is the enemy never knows exactly who is smiting them and it can be done without having to explain your actions to the world.
Timeline of Covert Nuclear Espionage
- June 13, 2009: Election protest over the disputed victory of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Did the Iranians get upset all on their own or was there some western influence to kickstart these people into protesting?
- Fall 2009 – Spring 2010: Massive cyber attack at two separate times injects the Natanz plant’s equipment with the Stuxnet virus that spread first through Iranian companies then to the Natanz facility itself. Furthermore, Symantec analyzed the virus and determined it was set to activate when it detected a certain array of events on the computers that would only happen at the Natanz plant.
- Fall 2009 to Spring 2010: About 9,000 centrifuges became broken and inoperable. This was a fallout from the Stuxnet virus that caused the centrifuges to spin so rapidly that they broke themselves. Afterward, someone sent them a nice gift and had them all replaced in a few months.
- January 12, 2010: Tehran University professor Masoud Ali Mohammadi, a senior physics professor who was working with the Natanz project was killed by a bomb explosion as he left for work in his car. The bomb was rigged onto a nearby motorcycle.
- February 14, 2011: The Day of Rage came. The fuel form the 2009 elections still was still flaring and when other protests erupted around the middle east, Iranians realized their demands resulting from the 2009 protests had not been met. This brought another huge wave of protests larger than the previous and led to several deaths.
- Fall 2011: Unexplained explosions near Isfahan at a nuclear enrichment site seems to have destroyed buildings. Satellite photos show buildings completely gone. [News Link] [ISS Report with spy photos]
- December 9, 2011: Iran captures a down U.S. spy drone presumably monitoring Iranian nuclear activity or possibly surveying damage from the Isfahan explosions.
- January 11, 2012: Mostafa Ahmadi Roshan, an Irianian university professor, chemistry expert, and a director of the Natanz uranium enrichment facility in central Iran, was killed by a magnetic bomb attached to his car by a motorcycle riding by.
From Stuxnet to Magnetic Bombs, Every Level of Technology Is Being Employed to Thwart Iran’s Clandestine Operations
In any event, it appears to me that a covert war is under way. The only thing is we don’t know for certain who all the players are for. It is likely the Israelis are heavily involved with on the ground work while the U.S. and British are furnishing a ton of intelligence. On the Iranian side you have Putin and the Russians furnishing the Iranians with the equipment and technology and very possibly the Chinese are lending everything they can on this deal.
Yes, a covert war could be underway and Iran could be a big boiling point for a larger conflict in the future. It will be interesting to see how this deal plays out. How connected are all of these events? Maybe not all of them are but I could see the U.S. using every available tool to create chaos in Iran to inhibit its ability to destabilize the middle east and threaten U.S. and Israeli interests.